1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. WELCOME Grumblers
    Backup is now done at 3PM EDT. You may find the server down for up to two minutes at that time.

Glue Bottle Blues

Discussion in 'Grumble Archive pre 2004 Topics' started by Rick Granick, Nov 25, 1999.

  1. Rick Granick

    Rick Granick SPFG, Supreme Picture Framing God

    This inquiry is inspired by all the discussion under the "ATG" topic. MY biggest shop nuisance is the continual clogging of the tip in glue bottles. We use FrameWeld glue, which is great, but the bottle's small opening is constantly being blocked or restricted by semi-drying glue. Capping between uses does not seem to help. I tried installing a nail thru the cap, but it rusted, staining the glue. Why can't they make a glue bottle with a cap containing an inner spike which would automatically "ream out" the bottle's tip when closed? Or how about a Teflon-lined bottle nozzle? Anyone got any do-it-yourself solutions in the meantime? (I wonder what the dollar value would be of all the time spent over a year cleaning out those clogs!)
    Sponsor Wanted
  2. Alan Sturgess

    Alan Sturgess CGF II, Certified Grumble Framer Level 2

    We wholesale the Maxim 5/15 glue and as well use it in our chop and join shop. We sell each bottle of glue complete with a 1/12" diameter 6" long hardwood dowel. Two elastic bands keep it attached to the bottle. When the cap gets plugged you simply take the plugged cap off and push the dowel up through the cap and pull it out through the top. Out comes the hardened glue and a "clean" opening until it gets plugged up again. We used to sell glue with a twist cap, but they did not work any better than the typical "yorker" cap that you are talking about. If you want some glue and the dowels send me an e-mail.
  3. Scarfinger

    Scarfinger Guest

    I use a glue called Weldbond. It comes in a plastic bottle with a cap which has an internal spike that pushes out the glue as it is twisted closed. I wipe the tip with a rag after I close it and it never plugs up. My glue table beside my underpinner is a very clean place. There is a cup with water and a few glue brushes in it. The glue is squeezed from the bottle onto a piece of scrap foamcore. A brush is taken from the water in the cup, dryed with a rag and used to apply the glue to the moulding. The brush is then returned to the water in the cup. The water in the cup and the glue brushes are rinsed at the end of each day. I have used the same brushes for 10 years. Anyone that leaves my glue table dirty and glue bottle tips plugged is in big trouble.
  4. ajhohen

    ajhohen Guest

    Chatting about glue...does anyone know of the glue that furniture manufacturers use? All I know is that it is a very strong glue, applied with a "heat activated" glue gun, allowing enought time to line up the pieces to be joined before it permanently sets wood joints together. If there are any furniture manufacturers you know of, and you get more details (glue manufacture, good and bad about it, etc.) on this, please let me know. Thanks.
  5. framer

    framer Guest

    Somewhere this was already covered on another thread.

    Keep a #6 1 1/4 inch dryway screw and use that to keep the hole clean. The threads work great to scrape the left over glue out.

  6. JOHNG

    JOHNG Guest

    I buy Frameweld by the gallon and pour it into an old mayonaise jar, I apply the glue with a brush which i keep in a jar of water. The trick is to keep the mayo jar closed in between uses You can keep it open while you are doing all your joining work but close it when you are done this gives you an airtight seal and stops the glue from drying out. change the water in your brush jar frequently (daily) or mold will develop and it will really start to stink. When I dont have a mayo jar I use a soup container from a chinese restaurant I actually like that better only because it is easier to take the lid on and off but it does not last longer than two to three months.
  7. Mitch

    Mitch <span style="color: red"><b><i>Charter Member</i><

    I have tried a nail, a drywall screw, a craft stick cut to the shape of the spout, but what works the best for me is-------I just give the frameweld bottle a good thump after capping it. It helps gravity pull the glue out of the spout. No glue, No clog.
  8. Bruce McElhaney

    Bruce McElhaney Guest

    Rick, check out the new packaged glue bottles from Titebond's yellow and white wood glues. They sport a new non-clog cap that opens and closes easily with one hand. WWW.franklini.com

  9. James Miller

    James Miller Guest

    I like to use a small plastic bottle with a push-to-close cap, which I purchase at the local drug store for about a dollar. It's made by "Pretty Neat" or something like that -- you've seen these things, I'm sure. The bottle is small, but easy to handle, and holds enough glue for more than a week's worth of frames. And when it's time to refill it, we wash off whatever glue residue has accumulated on the bottle. Neat. Clean. No brushes, dowels, nails or screws needed. No clogs.

    James Miller,PPFA-CPF; PPFA Certification Board Member; FACTS/GAFP Committee Member
Sponsor Wanted

Share This Page

Wizard Ad