• WELCOME Grumblers
    Backup is now done at 3PM EDT. You may find the server down for up to two minutes at that time.

mounting gouache on cardboard


CGF II, Certified Grumble Framer Level 2
I have a cardboard painting that curled the cardboard. I will place in deep frame with lots of frame space so I 'm not concerned about flattening.
But what is best way to mount? Don't want to dry mount. I guess I could hinge but was thinking about sewing to back? I have the curve to consider, when placed with center on surface the edge is 1/2" off. Item is 13" x 19"


SPFG, Supreme Picture Framing God
I would probably “nest” it.
Use pieces of foam board to build up and support where needed. Use a top mat to hold all in place.

Not sure how to explain. Kinda like fill up the space between bottom mat and top mat while providing support

Rick Granick

SPFG, Supreme Picture Framing God
I think what Ylva is describing is called a sink mount. You build a sort of trough the height of the highest part of the piece using layers of foamboard strips. The mat sits atop this, and holds the piece in place all around by overlapping the edge slightly. This method is often used to mount thick objects like magazines, or paintings on panels which will be matted.

Sink Mount.jpg

:cool: Rick
Sponsor Wanted