• WELCOME Grumblers
    Backup is now done at 3PM EDT. You may find the server down for up to two minutes at that time.

Need a fix!

Sherry Lee

SGF, Supreme Grumble Framer
I don't know the technical name for this finish, but this moulding is a CMI black moulding (#4649) with a lot of taupish color "antiquing" which rubs off so VERY easily. Well, I just accidently rubbed some off and MUST fix it! What do I use? This "wash" or "antiquing" is dull.....like it's a collection of dust, thus using corner wax wouldn't work because it's shiney.

Sponsor Wanted

Rick Granick

SPFG, Supreme Picture Framing God
I would recommend wiping all the wash off and starting from scratch so that the whole frame will be consistent. You can make a new wash by mixing some latex paint with acrylic for color. Thin the mixture to about the density of skim milk. Take a rag and wet it then wring it out so that it is not dripping. Use this to wipe the finish on. Work at a steady pace to maintain evenness. If you don't like the results you can wipe it off and start again. If you have a spare piece of moulding, you can experiment before attacking the real frame.

:cool: Rick
Sponsor Wanted