1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. WELCOME Grumblers
    Backup is now done at 3PM EDT. You may find the server down for up to two minutes at that time.

roll presses for mounting photographs

Discussion in 'The Grumble' started by charming, Apr 17, 2019.

  1. charming

    charming Grumbler

    I am hitting a dead end with suppliers about what machine is used to roll press photographs to mount them on very smooth surfaces such as Mighty Core or Rino (Gater).

    Can someone please give me a bit of advice about the machine used, and the adhesive used?

    thank you.
    Sponsor Wanted
  2. troyveluz

    troyveluz MGF, Master Grumble Framer

    I use an older version of the Seal 44 inch heated roller that looks like the image below.
  3. charming

    charming Grumbler

    I assume it mounts photos to any substrate? What type of glue do you use?

    I talked to two sales reps here and they say that this type of press is of no use to picture framers. I'm a bit disbelieving because if it mounts photos perfectly, then a framing store can make use of it.
  4. JFeig

    JFeig SGF, Supreme Grumble Framer

    these types of mounting presses have become mainstream picture framer equipment for larger shops in the US
  5. Dave

    Dave SPFG, Supreme Picture Framing God

    In a past life I sold XYRON Cold Roll Laminators and the supplies for them. Wonderfully well built equipment. The 2500 machine has a 25" mouth by whatever length you want.

    It can do one or two sided lamination, apply permanent of removable adhesives and mount to up to about 1/4" substrates with or without laminating to a substrate.

    One unique use of this machine is for signage. You can put a removable Post-It like adhesive on either the face of signage or on the reverse. You can then temporarily adhere the item to a window inside or outside. A local supermarket chain bought one from us to make signage for behind their butcher area and they would change the signage seasonally. They could pull off a 24" x 8 foot sign, put it onto the carrier sheet, roll it up and replace with a new one then a year later re-use the one they had up before.

    prospero likes this.
  6. shayla

    shayla WOW Framer

    Hi, charming. Were they sales reps for roller presses, or for frame suppliers who don't sell roller presses? Just curious.
    Dave likes this.
  7. Dave

    Dave SPFG, Supreme Picture Framing God

    Reminds me of the sales manager for two different shoe salesmen who he sends to a remote Pacific island to see if they can make any inroads in the market on the island.

    The first salesman comes back and says, "There's no market. Everybody goes barefoot."

    The second salesman comes back beaming and says there's no competition and an unlimited market. "No one there has shoes!".
    shayla and charming like this.
  8. charming

    charming Grumbler

    They were framing supply sales reps. As a framer (and amateur photographer), I haven't been happy with some of the mounting substrates available until Kool Tak and LJ's mountcore came out, but even then I would like to mount on substrates less prone to warping.

    So it seemed to me that these presses would allow picture framers to compete with the photo industry, diversify their business base and increase their revenues.

    But the reps I talked to weren't even sure how these presses worked.
  9. CB Art & Framing

    CB Art & Framing SGF, Supreme Grumble Framer

    I think something to clarify is glazing or no glazing.
  10. shayla

    shayla WOW Framer

    You might try searching 'roller' on the Grumble, as a few past threads on the subject come up. Framers who posted there might be able to help you. We still don't own one. Sometimes wish we did.
  11. Dave

    Dave SPFG, Supreme Picture Framing God

    You can have Frame Specialties put Kooltak adhesive on Mighty Core which is very similar to foam core but has a harder surface and is about as rigid as Gatorboard however MUCH less expensive. It costs just a bit more than foamcore.

    Frame Specialties number is 800-777-3165.
  12. troyveluz

    troyveluz MGF, Master Grumble Framer

    Any substrate up to 1/2 inch thick I can use.
    I use Drytac Multitac as adhisive: https://www.mybinding.com/multitac-clear-double-sided-mounting-adhesive.html?sku=MTAC41150

    I can also use The Gilman Brothers heat activated foamboards: http://gilmanbrothers.com/insite-heat-activated.html

    RGBCMYK Grumbler

    Hello, I sell the Coda cold mount presses 14" to 54" wide - give me a call 847 831 3535 or e mail at RGBCMYK@mindspring.com and I'll get you details on the equipment and samples of our adhesive coated substrates, Foam Core, Gator, hardboard, styrene, Stand Outs etc. Info is at www.codamount.com
  14. echavez123

    echavez123 MGF, Master Grumble Framer

    We have been mounting photographs for 19 years. I hate to admit, but I used to use spray 77 to mount Cibachromes to foamboard for several years - nasty stuff can get in your lungs and cause damage. Fast forward to 2007, we bough a Bienfang 42" roller press for hot or cold mounting. Skip the hot mounting. We have a very high success rate using cold mounting using Drytac adhesives - Twintac, Multitac, Suretac and Facemount for various applications. Most of the time, we mount to acid free foam, but have mounted on gator, migthycore and wood panels. Porous substrates work best. The roller gap is adjustable and can be used to vary the pressure of the roll. Any artwork larger that 16x20 goes in the roller press. The main issue to watch for is trapping air bubbles. Some surfaces, such as pvc coated surfaces may be prone to trapping air. If a perfect world, the board is completely flat and the adhesive binds to the substrate at the tangent point of the roller. However, any variation in the board caused by imperfections, debris or indentations can cause air trapping. This is where a porous substrate is helpful.

    Once you learn the technique, mounting is straighforward and predictable. Hope this is helpful.
    prospero likes this.
  15. charming

    charming Grumbler

    If I am using glass without a mat, I always use spacers.
  16. charming

    charming Grumbler

    Yes, I have a collegue in town that uses that, so am trying to source it locally to try it out.
  17. charming

    charming Grumbler

    Very helpful, thank you!
  18. wpfay

    wpfay Angry Badger

    I have a Bienfang 44" H/C roller press that takes up to 1/2" substrate. Great for production jobs. I've only used precoated substrates (One Step, Speed Mount, Cool Tack, Mount Cor, etc.) and am pleased with the results. I don't use it much because of space issues, and the vacuum press is much more versatile though it is much slower.

    If you want really flat dry mounts try Cool Tack's Competition Plate. Aluminum skinned polypropylene panel (DiBond) with their proprietary heat activated coating on one side. A bit more expensive but the results are perfectly flat.
    charming and ckelley like this.
Sponsor Wanted

Share This Page

Wizard Ad