• WELCOME Grumblers
    Backup is now done at 3PM EDT. You may find the server down for up to two minutes at that time.

What is the best paper to use for a "dust cover"?



The majority of framing I do is using museum quality matboards. I currently use regular Kraft paper for dust covers. Question: What companies offer a "acid free" buffered paper with a choice of at least 3 to chose from? The dust covers I put on frames only 5 years ago look absolutely terrible! I know black Kraft paper does hold it's color longer, but I am looking for a light color which would also be "acid free". Thanks...
Sponsor Wanted


<span style="color: red"><b><i>Charter Member</i><
JP would tell you to hit the Search feature. Try "dust cover" or "kraft paper" and see if it nets you the Lineco product which is, if memory serves, light gray? There are probably others, but three is likely a stretch!


SGF, Supreme Grumble Framer
Has anyone tried tyvec. It is thin, strong and inert. A good C/P product. You can get it from Falcon East.



ajhohen - University Products has some acid-free kraft, however, it comes as a light grayish-green, is rather costly, and the size selection is limited.


CGF, Certified Grumble Framer
I use black Kraft on regular jobs and "barrier paper" (l ply acid free) on all conseervation jobs. I switched to black to separate me from a local chain (they use a very low grade Kraft) and I use the barrier paper on conservation jobs as a statement that there is something different about the framing.


<span style="color: red"><b><i>Charter Member</i><
When this came up previously, weren't we told to be cautious about using black kraft paper? It sure does look nice, but does it rubs off on the walls or carseats, as was stated? We went to 50lb kraft to improve the look, but would like to find something better-looking.

Bruce McElhaney

When we wanted to upgrade our image, we switched from plain Butcher Store, kraft paper to black paper from Larson-Juhl. To my knowledge, it has never rubbed off on anything . . .



In the early 80's I had documented materials
used in framing. I noticed that the dust cover is a recent addition to the finished
framing job, about the 1950's. In all framing that had a dust cover, the cover was broken and bugs were evident. Frame backs that were sealed with gummed paper tape (like old box tape) were complete and no sign of bugs! I close all my framing with 3" paper tape. The moistened tape covers the frame back over to the foamcore backing. Get the tape from and old office supply store.
Sponsor Wanted