Thread: Best method(s) to store mat board

Grumbler in training

Default Best method(s) to store mat board

Greetings,

I was wondering how all of you store your supply of mat board prior to use? I have larg flat files which I am using for this purpose now but I find they have a number of drawbacks:

1. It is difficult to see what you have available
    2. It is hard to get at the stuff at the bottom of the pile
    3. It is hard to re-organize when you get new stock in.
    4. Handling (pulling pieces out and putting them back in) can cause scuffing or other damage.

I've thought of using vertical files (used mainly for blue prints). These can be enclosed units with a rail system on top to which you attach clamps from which can be suspended paper products up to 20 pounds per clamp. This might not completely solve the problems above but it should make inventory taking and general handling a little easier, no?

Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Peter
  2. Thread Sponsor

Sponsor Wanted

SGF Supreme Grumble Framer JFeig's Avatar

Just about all commercial storage of mat board products is done vertically (distributors and shops).
    Jerome Feig CPF
    http://www.minoxy.com

Go to the search function / type in something like: mat storage, mat board storage and you should pull up a lot of past discussion.

A couple of tips for vertical storage racks

• Use slat wall for your top/bottom of your unit and you have pregrooved slots for sliding in your horz spacers.
    • Ask for empty foam/mat boxes from your supplier and those can be stacked together to make storage racks.

SGF Supreme Grumble Framer cjmst3k's Avatar

My father's frame shop had all matboards stored vertically, and all next to eachother, with no separation of number. It took a helluva lot of body energy to push 100 mats to the left, so I could see how many of 8516 were on the right. Inventory was a guess.

My frame shop has each number with it's own space (vertically). I keep scraps and solid sheets together - and all matboard is overhead, over my work counter, and it stretches for 24'.

PFG Picture Framing God RoboFramer's Avatar
    United Kingdom, West Sussex Coast. (Bottom centre)

2 topics, 3 pages and 13 responses and no-one has said 'This is the wrong forum'

So I will.

Welcome Peter but your questions so far are day-to-day framing/workshop stuff - this forum is about the business side of things; not the practicalities.

It's 'The Grumble' you want for this stuff.

Have a nice day and y'all c'mon back now
    Stir frying ideas in the strategy wok

Quote Originally Posted by RoboFramer View Post
    2 topics, 3 pages and 13 responses and no-one has said 'This is the wrong forum'
    John:

Some Grumblers, me for instance, use the "New Posts" button. It lists all new posts, without indicating which forum it's from.

If one looks closely on top, to the left, it would say where it's from, but many don't look.

• Thread Sponsor
    Sponsor Wanted

Call (401) 619-4335 to become a sponsor today.

• Go