Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: strainer construction

True Grumbler

Default strainer construction

I'm putting together a pretty large strainer (3.5x4.5 ft) and I'm wondering what people use as a fastener for the corners and cross pieces. On smaller strainers I use v-nails, but this is too big for my little foot-powered pistorius vn-m and v-nails wont work on the cross braces. I've seen other strainers put together with corrugated fasteners and I'm wondering whether I have to just go get one of the guns at some point, or whether you can get them loose and hammer them in. Any particular models that you've found work well? Thanks!
  2. Thread Sponsor

Sponsor Wanted

I use a pocket cutter and screws to attach cross bracing. The Kreg pocket cutter system is relatively inexpensive and fine thread drywall screws work well for this application, so you don't need to stock up on the proprietary pocket screws. It works in wood as thin as 1/2". I also use the pocket cutter to make the attachments of the strainer to the frame. The kit also includes a vacuum adaptor that, when attached to a small shop-vac (I have a hand held Oreck for the purpose) allows for a very minimal cleanup. The only down side I can see to the Kreg system is the drill bit which requires frequent sharpening or replacement if you are doing volume work.
    Gravity hurts my feet.

Wally Fay
    Sunshine Frames

SGF Supreme Grumble Framer David N Waldmann's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wpfay View Post
    The Kreg pocket cutter system is relatively inexpensive and fine thread drywall screws work well for this application
    Ditto
    David Waldmann
    President
    Vermont Hardwoods
    "The picture we frame of the past changes continually and grows every day less similar to the original experience which it purports to describe." - George Santayana

True Grumbler

Do you use the Kreg for the corners as well or just the cross braces? I've got one already that I love.

PFG Picture Framing God RParrish's Avatar

Dry wall screws and or nail gun. Corner braces too, usually nail gun those in.
    Randy Parrish CPF, Parrish Fine Framing & Art

"A closed mind is like a closed book; just a block of wood."

SGF Supreme Grumble Framer CAframer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by adjframes View Post
    Do you use the Kreg for the corners as well or just the cross braces?
    Joining mitered corners with pocket holes:

MGF Master Grumble Framer

I've always made strainers with butt joints in a pinwheel fashion rather than mitering. Pre-drill screw holes at 45 through the end of the legs near the joint from the inside.

Put all 4 legs into the frame and screw the the pre-drilled holes into the other end of each leg. The pinwheel fashion butt joints will allow for a perfect fit without measuring. If you think you will more joint strength, pre-drill through from the outside of the joint and screw them together.
    Greg Fremstad
    Frame Tek, Inc.
    In Oregon it's "Damp if you do, damp if you don't".
    1-800-227-9934
    WWW.FrameTek.com [email]gregf@frametek.com

SPFG Supreme Picture Framer God Baer Charlton's Avatar

About Pocket screwing..... there is a down side. (and I don't have t he cheap kit....
    I invested and use all the time the full meal deal - - and am a firm believer)

Screws that enter directly or in any oblique angle the end grain will not hold over
    time unless the threads are designed for such application (wide flairing threads
    -- commonly referred to as "coarse"). AND they need to penetrate DEEP.

Now-- back to Kreg. The depth of the long screws gives only a 1/2" of penetration.

So, although Andrew posted the "official" Kreg schematic for mitered corners....

I would either stand shoulder to shoulder with Greg....... but rather not.

In this application, I would use at least a 3" wide strainer which I would build
    in a corner vice then pre-drilll for 6" deck screws and run at diagonals.
    Then I would corner brace with 6x6 corner plates.

For the cross braces I would Kreg from the ends of the cross braces so I'm
    screwing into the cross grain.

Or you could just learn the way we used to do all this quickly back in the day....

Mechanic's vice, pre drill for 16p nails, glue.... and toe nail the braces. About
    a 15 minute job.

We didn't get better, faster and more efficient.... we just bought more stuff
    to amuse ourselves with.

SGF Supreme Grumble Framer CAframer's Avatar

One of the issues that perhaps needs to be clarified ... is this a strainer to structurally support a marginal frame, or is it a strainer (non-adjustable stretcher) for a canvas ... the latter would not be a candidate for pin-wheeling butt joints!

True Grumbler

the former, for structural support.

• Go
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast