Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Selling Museum Glass

SPFG Supreme Picture Framer God

Quote Originally Posted by skydancer View Post
    ...we got rather tired of struggling with the "Museum glass upgrade" from ConClear because it was just so expensive and difficult to justify at 3-4X the price...changed the mark up on Museum so it would be closer to ConClear markups...Less mark up, yes, but more dollars and happier (higher-end) customers!
    Congratulations on your realization. Some framers still have not discovered this line of reasoning, so they and their customers are still missing out on the benefits of optically-coated glass, which usually is their best glazing option.

Museum Glass has been the highest-profit-dollar line item in my shop for several years. That is, no other product has generated more gross profit dollars than Museum Glass. And best of all, customers love it.

SGF Supreme Grumble Framer Puppiesonacid's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Miller View Post
    Congratulations on your realization. Some framers still have not discovered this line of reasoning, so they and their customers are still missing out on the benefits of optically-coated glass, which usually is their best glazing option.

Museum Glass has been the highest-profit-dollar line item in my shop for several years. That is, no other product has generated more gross profit dollars than Museum Glass. And best of all, customers love it.
    That is what I have done, and I sell it all the time. I have heard some mark the glass up a lot, and its a wonder they never sell it. I have a low mark up, but it still cost more than the other glass I have, and I have no problem selling it. I am finding I am selling museum glass way more these days, or regular glass. Con Clear is like a thing of the past in my store because people care or they don't. People see the museum glass and it sells its self. If not, its I want the cheapest glass you got. Pretty much sums it up with what the customers want in my area. I might keep track of it this month for fun, but its close to 50 museum 50 regular... with little drabs of reg NG, and conservation clear thrown in.

CGF II, Certified Grumble Framer Level II Markoc's Avatar

Could those that sell museum glass tell me what they sell a 16x20 piece vs regular clear vs cons clear, just so I can see the price difference. I never really sell it probably because of the price difference between the above products. Thanks

Grumbler in training

Default Display all three

I have a 20 x 20 with CC on the left, museum in the center and CNG on the right. The subject matter is a flower that has yellow petals and a orange center (where the museum glass is). I have it sitting on the floor leaning against a table, angled up which makes for a better display than the Tru vue sample with all the writing on it. I point to the sample and ask the customer which they want, left, right or center. Most of the responses are, " there is glass in the center?". Then they have to touch it to see for themselves. I have a full wall of pieces framed with museum glass, from shadowboxes to regular prints. I sell close to a box per week. I also tell customers that I will swap out their existing glass on pieces they have at home for the cost of the museum glass. One customer brought in 12 pieces.

SGF Supreme Grumble Framer Grey Owl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Puppiesonacid View Post
    People see the museum glass and it sells its self. If not, its I want the cheapest glass you got. Pretty much sums it up with what the customers want in my area. I might keep track of it this month for fun, but its close to 50 museum 50 regular... with little drabs of reg NG, and conservation clear thrown in.
    If your cheapest was CC, would you loose any customers? My base glass is CC and I do my pricing based on CC., and when they want the cheapest glass that is what I sell. I never tell them the price for CC, only the increment, eg. Museum is only xx dollars more.

In the rare event they say they have a specific price point, I will say something to the effect "you know, I do have a few pieces of plain vanilla glass left over from a commercial job from a few years ago; I can cut it down to the size you need, and probabably save a few dollars I'd you like"

No takers yet, and I still have six sheets left.
    Russ Wood / Grey Owl Framing
    Original Art and Specialty Pieces Deserve Uncommon Frames

www.GreyOwlFraming.com
    http://www.facebook.com/GreyOwlFraming

SGF Supreme Grumble Framer Puppiesonacid's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Owl View Post
    If your cheapest was CC, would you loose any customers? My base glass is CC and I do my pricing based on CC., and when they want the cheapest glass that is what I sell. I never tell them the price for CC, only the increment, eg. Museum is only xx dollars more.

In the rare event they say they have a specific price point, I will say something to the effect "you know, I do have a few pieces of plain vanilla glass left over from a commercial job from a few years ago; I can cut it down to the size you need, and probabably save a few dollars I'd you like"

No takers yet, and I still have six sheets left.
    I don't think I would lose customers, but most do say the cheapest thing I got when its a photo/ kids art/ whatever they don't consider valuable, and that they aren't worried about UV stuff. You would also be surprised at how many ask the difference in cost between the types of glass.... Conservation is about 3 times the cost of regular... of course, I price conservation up a little bit more, so the museum/ AR glass sounds closer in price to it overall, so instead of them just going for the conservation glass, they buy the better glass since its not a fortune more for it, and regular glass sounds even lower overall, so if people want lower price, no problem.

Its all about pricing things for what you want to sell the most of. I want to sell museum glass/ AR glass, which really I have no idea why I sell it, other than some want the bit lower price on it then museum, but the look of it... So I price things I don't care that I sell to much of... IE conservation glass, higher then most people would, so the rest sounds better. Of course at the same time like i said, I don't mark the museum glass up near as much as others do, so over all my prices for it are not that much.

Even after seeing how everyone explains UV protection, and me using the way of its like sun screen where it protects the image longer, 50% or so say, its not going in a room with a lot of light/ in the basement... I don't really argue, cause I can't, and it sounds like I am just trying to up sell when they don't want it. If its something valuable to the customer, like I said, they usually ask what do you recommmend, and i say museum glass because it has the best protection, and the almost no glass look to it, and they say, Ok. and they don't care about the price. So it really does come between those 2 types most of the time.

as for pricing... i kind of say the full price with everything, mats, frame, so on with the different types of glass when they ask, and ONLY when they ask, so its up to what they want to spend that decides what glass they want sometimes. people want the frames they pick, and the mats, and won't change those for price sake, but will pick lower priced glass when they want it to be lower priced.

Quote Originally Posted by Markoc View Post
    Could those that sell museum glass tell me what they sell a 16x20 piece vs regular clear vs cons clear, just so I can see the price difference. I never really sell it probably because of the price difference between the above products. Thanks
    It would be unwise to discuss actual prices on a public-access internet forum.

I price Museum Glass so that it provides 3X the gross profit dollars of Conservation Clear in the same size. Note that I am not talking about a 3X markup.

PFG Picture Framing God FrameMakers's Avatar

Jim, I think he is talking about retail prices. Nothing wrong with talking about retail. It get's hairy when we talk about what we pay for something.

Reg $11.62
    CC $20.94
    MG $65.00

I have been considering updating my MG prices as has been discussed above. We have also been thinking of adding the Art Glass into the mix.
    Dave Wetterstroem

You don't stop playing because you grow old. You grow old because you stop playing.

SPFG Supreme Picture Framer God Dave's Avatar

For a 16X20

Regular... which I rarely ever sell $ 10.08
    CC $ 27.63
    Museum $ 72.84
    Optium 1/8" Museum Acrylic $ 235.00

Be careful about comparing prices on one element of a frame job though. Everyone uses slightly different pricing formulas for different aspects of a job. Some may even have a glass cutting charge, for instance.
    Dave Makielski

The guy who knows a lot about a little and a little about a lot. I learn something
    everyday and appreciate those who help to educate me, teach me and nurture me.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    ...Everyone uses slightly different pricing formulas for different aspects of a job...
    And then there's that.

The exact prices of glass and other parts of a frame are not important. The total price and profitability are the main issues.

Go