Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: framing pastels

Default framing pastels

its me again. haven't yet opened, did some reconstruction of my space, and now doing some overhauling of my outside areas, don't want to look like a junk yard when I finally get someone here! I have a tiny show (I do paintings) in sept, and that's when I'll start passing out flyers, putting a couple ads in locals. eek!

in any case, this pertains to framing of my own pastel work. one gallery is telling me I MUST have mats! the spacer/wide moulding look is no good!~ the frames I use when I do go this route are wide, oil painting/plein air types, those kind that are nice and wide and heavy. this is no place for a skimpy wimpy moulding!

when I do matting, I use off white, or some other neutral, and usually a frame not as wide or heavy as the aforementioned non-mat job.

often, if its small, like 11x13 or so, I use mats. if it gets bigger than 18x24, I go no-mats due to the weight of glass. of course I do use a hidden mat/f.b. spacer under the window mat, or that spacer that hooks onto the glass if no-mat style.

I think mr. crabby is just an opinionated fella. and that's fine, its his gallery, he can make the rules. others really like my larger pieces in no-mat style, including another gallery.

do you have other ideas about framing pastels? as it is, I do some of each and just dont' take certain ones to mr. crabby.
    -chris
  2. Thread Sponsor

Sponsor Wanted

SGF Supreme Grumble Framer

I frame some of my pastels sans mat.
    But, never works on paper, like Canson.
    If I am using no mats, I use heavy sanded paper like Wallis.
    (of course I sometimes mat sanded paper as well. Remember to build a float mat when doing so.)
    This minimizes potential for cockling.
    Also, remember not to put points in too tight.
    Cliff Wilson, MCPF
    Immediate Past President of New England PPFA & Former Director on the International Board of PPFA

The Best Custom Picture Framing in Worcester, MA - Website

SPFG Supreme Picture Framer God prospero's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by coppertop View Post
    do you have other ideas about framing pastels? .
    That's a bit of a how-long-is-a-piece-of-string question without seeing the work. Any photos you can post up?

SPFG Supreme Picture Framer God Jeff Rodier's Avatar

Almost always matted with few exceptions. Most important thing I can say is spray your pastels because the pastels fall off the paper and your work disappears over time. I had one customer spent nearly $1,000 on a family portrait pastel and then sent many of her friends to the same artist. She brought it in to be reframed and most of the work had fallen off of the paper.

When she asked me why and what to do I explained that the artist had not sprayed the work and knew this would happen. She then proceeded to have the artist redo the work at no charge and sent every one of her friends back to him to have their work redone. About $10,000 worth of pastels all had to be reworked at no charge and I guarantee all of them were sprayed the second time. I always out a pastel artist for not using spray fixative when the customer brings a piece to be framed or reframed.
    Art & Frame Outlet
    204 George Bishop Pkwy
    (Across from the Hard Rock Park)
    Myrtle Beach, SC 29579
    (843) 236-4370

SGF Supreme Grumble Framer Grey Owl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by coppertop View Post
    I go no-mats due to the weight of glass. ...
    -chris
    The weight of the glass doesn't bother me as long as I'm using a big enough frame to support the package, and the correct hanging methods.

For 2.5mm glass (eg Tru-Vue CC or Museum), the weight is 1.13 pounds per square foot. So a 24 x 36 inside dimensions would be 6 square feet, or approximately 6.8 pounds.

good luck.
    Russ Wood / Grey Owl Framing
    Original Art and Specialty Pieces Deserve Uncommon Frames

www.GreyOwlFraming.com
    http://www.facebook.com/GreyOwlFraming

PFG Picture Framing God neilframer's Avatar

I never spray pastels and most of the pastel artists I work with don't want to spray either.
    Spraying can change the look of the pastel and even leave tiny spots.
    I work with one artist who does 40"x60" pastels with incredible detail. I don't know how she has the patience.
    Framing her work is a nail-biter. She draws on 800 grit sandpaper.
    It requires special handling and I have framed hundreds and hundreds of pastels without trouble.
    I never turn them face-down for fitting.
    I always space the mat away from the artwork to allow for any drop-off.
    Support for People with Oral and Head and Neck Cancer
    http://www.spohnc.org
    "My time is a piece of wax falling on a termite, who's chokin' on the splinters"

SGF Supreme Grumble Framer Grey Owl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by neilframer View Post
    I never spray pastels and most of the pastel artists I work with don't want to spray either.
    Spraying can change the look of the pastel and even leave tiny spots.
    I work with one artist who does 40"x60" pastels with incredible detail. I don't know how she has the patience.
    Framing her work is a nail-biter. She draws on 800 grit sandpaper.
    It requires special handling and I have framed hundreds and hundreds of pastels without trouble.
    I never turn them face-down for fitting.
    I always space the mat away from the artwork to allow for any drop-off.
    Yes - have the space, and always fit by hand-squeezing the points into the wood, instead of the jarring of the mechanical point drivers that can jar the pastel.
    Russ Wood / Grey Owl Framing
    Original Art and Specialty Pieces Deserve Uncommon Frames

www.GreyOwlFraming.com
    http://www.facebook.com/GreyOwlFraming

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Owl View Post
    Yes - have the space, and always fit by hand-squeezing the points into the wood, instead of the jarring of the mechanical point drivers that can jar the pastel.
    I even use a hand screwdriver to install hardware to prevent any vibration from the screw gun.
    "My time is a piece of wax falling on a termite, who's chokin' on the splinters"

SPFG Supreme Picture Framer God Jeff Rodier's Avatar

I won't spray the art for the customer either. As far as changing the look it doesn't matter because the work will fall off of the paper over time which turns it into garbage. If the artist isn't capable of finishing their work they have no business selling it. I do a lot of framing for pastel artists and make it clear that if anybody ever comes in with one of their pieces where the artwork is disappearing they deserve to have the work redone or demand a full refund.

A competent artist learns their craft and understands any color shift that may occur while using a fixative. If you purchase a car that has been painted but not clear coated and the paint peels you get a refund or a new paint job. If a framer completes a frame job that just falls apart after a year the customer deserves a refund. Shotty work is shotty work and all the pastel artists that want to argue otherwise better hope one of their customers doesn't show up in my store asking questions.

As far as possible spotting with sprays that is less of an issue today than ever before but the artist is able to work over the fixative to correct any issue and respray. I have never seen a product where people argue a known defect being it will evaporate by falling away from the paper is an acceptable product. This is no different than an emulsion photograph that has not been through the stop bath because it will turn black. Can you argue that is an acceptable product. The result is the same.
    Art & Frame Outlet
    204 George Bishop Pkwy
    (Across from the Hard Rock Park)
    Myrtle Beach, SC 29579
    (843) 236-4370

I don't do "Shoddy" work and neither do the artists I frame for.
    I've only been framing for 43 years, what do I know?
    Hey, do whatever floats your boat.

• Go
    Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast