Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Corporate bidding

Grumbler

Default Corporate bidding

Hello fellow grumblers,

I know I have posted about corporate feed back in the passed. I'm finding it very difficult to find the right places to tackle on bidding accounts. I've probably read every corporate post on this forum, not much leads to the right direction other then a few posted having grumblers give advise to get "bid lists" that brings me to my question, how/where do I go about on locating bid lists for accounts in my N.J/NY area to contact and give and place a bid? The corporate I speak of is bigger end accounts not offices, small restaurants etc. thanks in advance for the great feed back.

2. Thread Sponsor

Sponsor Wanted

SPFG Supreme Picture Framer God

Attend this class in Las Vegas:

P383 Selling Art and Framing to the Corporate Market
    Monday, January 28, 2013 : 4pm - 6pm Barbara Markoff Rob Markoff, CPF

In an era of big box and Internet competition for art and framing sales, selling to the corporate market can still provide a great opportunity for increased growth and stability. This veteran husband and wife team share their 25-plus years of success in this arena. Learn about prospecting, networking, and developing leads and why you shouldn't be disappointed when a cold call says, "I'm not interested." Learn how to make an effective presentation and the follow-up required to close and complete the sale. This session will take you through the entire process from start to finish, including art and framing resources, installation, and billing. As an added bonus, each attendee will receive a copy of Barbara's book, Becoming a Corporate Art Consultant - The Handbook for Corporate Art Consultation.
    Sponsored by Editions Limited
    FEE: $75.00

SGF Supreme Grumble Framer Rob Markoff's Avatar

Thanks for the plug, Jim.

Here is a perfect example of why attending the WCAF Expo could pay off big time.

The OP wants to enter a potentially lucrative field and is asking "how to do it" on an internet forum.

What is the potential return, meaning how much additional revenue could one add to their business if they successfully sell to the corporate market? Tens of thousands of dollars? Hundreds of thousands of dollars? Just for perspective, we closed our four retail stores to focus strictly on commercial/corporate sales. 2012 was another record year for us and very profitable.

What is the "cost" of attending the WCAF, $1000 - $2,000?

Could the tips and techniques learned in some of the classes (if put to use) increase one's business revenue? Could the contacts made potentially continue to provide information/support long after the show is over?

framer12 - if you can't attend the WCAF Expo, Barbara's book is available on Amazon.com. Sure I am biased but I think you will find it very useful.

SPFG Supreme Picture Framer God Framar's Avatar
    Buffalo, New York, USA/Fort Erie, Ontario, Canada

Lightbulb

I have never bid on any corporate job in my life, nor would I wish to, but if I were to do so, I would make sure my language skills were top notch. If I did not possess the necessary skills I would hire someone who did. I may be wrong, Rob, but isn't presentation important? And isn't language part of presentation?

Just a teeny voice howling in the wilderness....

Are you saying I don't talk English good?

The ability to write proposals and read blueprints are definitely important criteria. In the corporate world, your "on paper" personality is as important as your ability to produce product.

PFG Picture Framing God Kirstie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Markoff View Post
    Are you saying I don't talk English good?

The ability to write proposals and read blueprints are definitely important criteria. In the corporate world, your "on paper" personality is as important as your ability to produce product.
    Precisely. I am currently working on a large bid that involves visualized art in place and detailed specs with placement on blueprints. Not only do I have to look good on paper, I have to look professional in person and arrive with capable assistants to photograph, measure, and advise. We all have our own ways of going about this, and some have different foci of interest, and different markets we specialize in, but if you have not read Barbara's book, you must. It is the Bible of corporate art consultation and will provide the foundaton you need to find your niche in this field. If you can take the class, even better.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirstie View Post
    Not only do I have to look good on paper, I have to look professional in person..................
    Yeah, that's one of the "perks".......or so Barbara says as she arrives home carrying a Nordstrom's bag after getting her hair/nails done

SGF Supreme Grumble Framer

It's a good book. It's short book, but it's a good one. Tried for two accounts so far. I've secured one account after reading it. If I secure this second one I'd say it's been worth $720 per page so far. Paid 27 cents per page.

SGF Supreme Grumble Framer Grey Owl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Markoff View Post
    Yeah, that's one of the "perks".......or so Barbara says as she arrives home carrying a Nordstrom's bag after getting her hair/nails done
    Also it helps if you can become friends with the purchasing agent. Sometimes that relationship can really help, such as them letting you know if your bid is close, but not quite there, so you can adjust if necessary. But looking and sounding knowledgeable, but being honest is important.
    Russ Wood / Grey Owl Framing
    Original Art and Specialty Pieces Deserve Uncommon Frames

www.GreyOwlFraming.com
    http://www.facebook.com/GreyOwlFraming

PFG Picture Framing God Kirstie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Owl View Post
    Also it helps if you can become friends with the purchasing agent. Sometimes that relationship can really help, such as them letting you know if your bid is close, but not quite there, so you can adjust if necessary. But looking and sounding knowledgeable, but being honest is important.
    Russ,

Tell us more about finding purchasing agents. What is your strategy?

• Go
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast