Cordless Picture Lights That Actually Work

Jim Miller

SPFG, Supreme Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
Founding Member
Business
Miller
In the past, cordless picture lights have been disappointing. The LED color was too blue, the light level too dim, and the battery life too short. I stopped selling them, despite some customers' willingness to put up with their shortcomings.

At WCAF, I saw an impressive demonstration of the new cordless Concept Picture Lights, almost too good to be true, so I bought some. They arrived more than a week ago, but before selling them or recommending them, I wanted to take one home for my own testing.

I'm still impressed. The LED color is not blue, but a warm white, almost identical to typical incandescent light bulbs. These are called "SMD" LEDs. I don't know what that means, but they are claimed to be free of heat and UV radiation. In my opinion the light level is actually too bright for evening family room light, but thankfully, the remote control includes a 4-stage dimming feature. That is, press once to turn on, then hold down if you want four progressive stages of dimming, which then automatically goes to progressive brightening if you continue holding the button down. Press again to turn off. Quite nice - especially if the light is inconveniently located for turning on & off by hand.

The four D-batteries are still providing plenty of power after more than a week, with about six hours of use per day. The brochure claims the batteries should last 100 hours at full brightness, and it looks like that could be real, especially if you use the dimming feature, as I do.

Decent looking in the traditional semi-cylindrical style, they come in the usual matte black, brass, and antique brass finishes. They install to the wall or the frame the same old way.

If interested, check 'em out here, or call 1-800-771-1573 or 301-519-3803. Tell Murari Sharma I said hello.

That is good news. I will check them out. I have tried out others in the past with the same experience that you have had. I eventually took them off the frame because it was just too much hassle.

Couldn't find any LED.... but found the CCFL

I wouldn't be very impressed with 4 D cell batteries....and only getting 40 hours of life.....

I've got a dot light with five LEDs and it has run for three years on two watch batteries..... which when they go dead, wont corrode and leak like the alkalines will.

40 hours is the expected life for their older-design fluorescent lamp, which is a lot like the other brand I stopped selling. That's what you'll see on the web site.

I just realized these new LED picture lights are not shown on the web site yet. If you contact Mr. Sharma, I'm sure he would be pleased to send you the new 2-page brochure with photos, dimensions, and specifications.

Glad you brought this up Jim. Had a lady that came in yesterday that just moved here from Greece. She and her husband built their house and had 6 picture lights installed before any art was bought. Going to be a challenge for sure.

Anyhow, what they have is wired to the wall and they are flourescents. They are also on a timer for 5 hrs each night. Not a good combination and I expressed my concern with her.

Does this company that you recommend have that type of set up. She is going to be checking on this also.

I don't think many customers will be happy dragging a big, heavy painting every 2-3 weeks to fiddle with the light assembly and change the batteries.

They may tolerate this every 4-5 months but anything more frequent is a PIA.

My nephew has a Frisbee that they super glued 12 LEDs to.. the wires meet
in the center where he super glued a large battery the size of a quarter. He
then duct tapes down the other wires on the face side of the battery.

He built that last summer...... it has been in his hands many many evenings
after dark, and was up all the evenings for the science fair, the PTA open
house, the Young Inventors evening, and a few others. He thinks there is
probably over a hundred hours on the thing, and still going strong.

alkaline batteries in this century are a joke. Why would you ever think to still
stick the toxic rain that has caused so much damage in the past, back over
art work..... who cares what kind of bulb your using.....the problem has
always been the batteries leaking corrosion.

OK...

The cordless picture lights I'm talking about are a new-design LED type, not fluorescent. The light unit operates on four D-batteries, and the remote control operates on two AAA-batteries. The specifications, which you haven't seen yet, unless you have just received the new brochure from Mr. Sharma, say the battery life is at least 100 hours on full brightness. But again, full brightness is really bright - too bright, IMHO.

Each unit comes with a small, push-button remote control, which also serves as the dimmer.

The usual cost is $37.50 each, including the remote control, plus 8% for packing/shipping.

...had 6 picture lights installed...wired to the wall and they are flourescents. They are also on a timer for 5 hrs each night. Not a good combination and I expressed my concern with her.

What's wrong with that combination? If they want to use their picture lights every evening, hard-wiring fluorescents on a timer seems like the best idea. They would last a long time and serve the purpose with minimum maintenance. To protect the pictures from the small amount of UV radiation that would come from those tiny lamps, the lamps could be placed in UV-filtering tubes, or a UV-filtering film could be placed between the lamp and the art. The picture lights would probably do less UV damage than light through a window.

Does this company that you recommend have that type of set up. She is going to be checking on this also.

Don't know. Call and ask. I'm only telling you about what I believe is a useful new product, not necessarily recommending the company, which I know nothing about -- except that they shipped the lights as promised.

I don't think many customers will be happy dragging a big, heavy painting every 2-3 weeks to fiddle with the light assembly and change the batteries.

Bron, the LED unit is attached to the wall (or frame) by the traditional-design telescoping, adjustable-length tube assembly, secured by a knurled thumbscrew easily accessible. When it is time to change batteries, there is no need to take down or disturb the hanging frame; no "dragging a big, heavy painting". In fact, there's no need to touch the frame. A twist of the thumbscrew allows the unit to be easily detached and reattached to the wall. Even if a ladder is required to get to the unit, changing the batteries is a simple task.

That said, your point is well taken. For daily use, like the situation nikfrs describes, and what you seem to have in mind, a battery operated picture light would be the wrong choice. For frequent use, hard-wiring with a switch or timer makes a lot more sense.

There is a market for battery operated picture lights to illuminate pictures only once in a while, for an occasional party or special dinner, for example. If the consumer wants to use the picture light for 6 or 8 hours once a month, the expense of hard-wiring might be overkill, but in these new LED units, the batteries probably would last a year. To me, that seems like a practical application.

janet/Jim this seems to be a really improved battery operated picture light at what looks like a reasonable price.

thanks for the sharing..

jim really like your sig line...

Back